Shop Now

Shop Now
Click to go to the Online Stampin' Up! shop

Thursday 8 May 2014

A Sparkly Special Card

When one of my customers work colleagues contacted me to ask me to make her a 60th birthday card, I knew it would need to be special.

The birthday girl in question makes all the cards for every other occasion they celebrate, so this card needed to be up to her standard! It got me thinking, what makes a card 'special'? 

To make a card special, you could pick colours they like? A theme that incorporates their likes and life style? but when creating for a cardmaker, special to me means different to my 'usual' style. This is what I came up with...


I nearly always make straight forward folding cards, I find the pleasure in designing and decorating rather than cutting and folding, so this was my first idea - I'd create something more 'difficult'. After a little while on pintrest, I found a tutorial on how to make a central step card on great blog by a lady called Grace, you can find the original tutorial here. Her instructions were brilliant, and she even had pictures which helped me translate the inches into cm, so I could use my Stampin Trimmer and not have to get the knife and ruler out!

I then decided that glitter was definitely needed! When creating a card that's traveling around a workplace, through many hands before the recipient recieves is difficult with glitter. You don't want everyone to be covered in glitter, or the birthday girl will suspect. Equally, you don't want the glitter to have all come off before it's recieved and spoil the affect! Luckily our Glimmer Paper is ideal, it doesn't rub off and it even comes in 'Champagne' which just seems fitting for the occation!

In choosing the colours, I headed to the In-Colour groups, they only hang around for two years, so they are pretty special too! I originally thought of Strawberry Slush, but it was too bright for this sophisticated lady, so Crisp Cantaloupe was perfect. I added in a strip of Baked Brown Sugar Ruffle Trim, before adding butterflies cut from the Beautiful Wings Embosslits. I cut the card base, and butterflies from Very Vanilla Cardstock as it complemented the champagne glitter brilliantly. 

In my central step section, I matted and layered using the Labels Collection Framelits Dies and Stampin Dimmensionals. I finally cut the numbers from the Typeset Alphabet and created an envelope to fit this unique card using the Envelope Punch Board.

I'm really pleased with it, I'd love to get your feedback! 





No comments:

Post a Comment